Meryl worked in the healing arts as a Homeopath and Bowen Therapist for over 20 years, stepping aside from patient care in January 2016 to devote herself to her new business The Healing Mat Lady. It wasn’t until she faced her own health wake up calls that she understood at a bone deep level what it truly takes to heal.
During her recent recovery from breast cancer, Meryl began designing a line of healing mats. These mats document the dragonfly process of healing as an opportunity to transform, adapt, find joy and dig deeper into her emotions. Meryl has developed a unique process of writing on the linen around her design to highlight the inspiration for each mat. She chooses colours for her mats based on the Chakra colour theory. As well, she has developed a proprietary design process by following the energy of the emotion or quality she is trying to convey in the piece. You can read more about Meryl’s healing journey, as well as her unique rug hooking design process in her new book One Loop at a Time, a story of rug hooking, healing and creativity.
Meryl has dedicated her life and the next phase of her career to developing a process, a community and a mechanism for women to transform their relationship with their bodies and discover what makes their heart sing.
Meryl is available as a speaker and to facilitate workshops on Hook a Healing Mat. She also works one on one with women to tell their stories of their healing journey, using writing and rug hooking as her medium.
Meryl enjoys an active lifestyle. She is a walker, cyclist, dragon boat paddler, rug hooker, community volunteer and mother of three adult sons.
- MSc in Applied Clinical & Industrial Psychology (Saint Mary’s University) 1983
- DHom (Diploma of Homeopathy) (Devon School of Homeopathy in the United Kingdom) 2001
- PDHom (Practitioner’s Diploma of Homeopathy) (Devon School of Homeopathy in the United Kingdom) 2003
- Registered with Bowtech International (highest level of advanced training, former instructor in the Bowen Technique) since 1996
- Canadian Society of Homeopaths (CSHom) registered member (2001 – 2016)
- Maritime Society of Homeopaths (MSH) registered member